Monday, March 26, 2007

Red Vines


I, as many of you readers may know, grew up in Portland, OR. Near my house was a pharmacy that sold candy and other miscellaneous items. One of the best items that they sold were Red Vines. They came in 5 oz. packages and cost 89ยข. A few years later the bad news was that the pharmacy closed, but the good news was that I could purchase Red Vines elsewhere. And purchase them I did. All throughout middle school and high school I ate Red Vines on a regular basis.

During college I was located in North Carolina where Red Vines were somewhat more difficult to find. Then I moved to New York where not only is it hard to find Red Vines, but some people haven't even heard of Red Vines. Not a single deli or bodega or candy stand has them. Once in a while you'll see them at a big grocery store, but otherwise they are not to be found.

About a week ago my girlfriend bought me a 4 pound tub of Red Vines from Target. This is one of the best gifts I have ever gotten. I have eaten about half of them so far and I'm not tired of them at all. Everything about them is great. They're a little softer than the ones in the 5 oz. packages usually are and they have that same singular taste that Red Vines always have.

Availability of Red Vines in New York City: D-
4 lb. Tub of Red Vines: A

1 Comments:

Blogger Joe Swanberg said...

Wow, that is a great gift. I'm in North Carolina right now, and could really go for some Red Vines. There is a Target down the street. Perhaps I'll go check there.

2:38 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home