Tuesday, September 12, 2006

Grilled Cheese at Junior's


I went to Junior's yesterday with a former girlfriend of mine.  Almost every time I've been there I get seated at the exact same table and this time was no different.  I commented on this phenomenon to my former girlfriend and she agreed that it was odd, as there are many tables in the establishment.

I took a swig of my water, which arrived seconds after we were seated, and cracked open the menu.  As I looked over the options I noticed that the grilled cheese sandwich was available, upon request, with cheddar cheese rather than American cheese.  This was pretty appealing to me because I love grilled cheese sandwiches, but I do not like American cheese.  Our waiter arrived and we placed our orders.  I was very careful to mention that I wanted my grilled cheese with cheddar.  Our order complete, the waiter disappeared.  I set about drinking my water, eyeing but not eating the complimentary bread which had arrived at our table, and conversing with my former girlfriend.

She had ordered mozzarella sticks and these arrived within a few minutes.  She asked if I wanted to split them.  I said no thanks, I'd have enough melted cheese soon enough, but I said that I would sample one.  I moved my mozzarella stick from the plate on which they came to a smaller plate in front of me.  I tried it and I have to say that, to me, a mozzarella stick is a mozzarella stick.  It was fine I guess, but I don't see why people get excited about them.  The primary taste seems to be deep fried.  As a side note, my former girlfriend hates cheese, but loves mozzarella sticks.  I find this to be bewildering and wrongheaded.

A few more minutes past and the rest of our food arrived.  As soon as my plate was set down in front of me I could see that I had not received cheddar on my sandwich as requested.  I was about to protest, but our waiter was already speeding away.  I looked down at my sandwich, dismayed.

I ate a french fry absentmindedly.  I looked at my sandwich.

As long as it was sitting in front of me I might as well eat it, I thought to myself as I reached for the ketchup.  I poured a large pool of ketchup onto my plate and proceeded to drown each bite of my sandwich in it.  I will admit that despite the American cheese the sandwich wasn't all bad.  It was crispy and the bread was alright.  Also, I also enjoyed my french fries well enough.

My former girlfriend had ordered the "Something Different", which consisted of beef brisket sandwiched between potato pancakes with apple sauce on the side.  I tried a bite of a potato pancake with some applesauce and thought it was pretty good.

All in all I did not enjoy Junior's as much as I have on previous visits.  Still, in general, I like the place a lot and I don't want to discourage anyone from going there.

Grilled Cheese Sandwich if You Like American Cheese: B-
Grilled Cheese Sandwich if You Don't Like American Cheese: D
Getting American Cheese When Cheddar Was Specifically Requested: F
French Fries: B+
Mozzarella Sticks: C+
Liking Mozzarella Sticks, but Not Cheese: D-
Bite of Potato Pancake w/ Applesauce: A-
Overall Experiance: C-

6 Comments:

Blogger Joe Swanberg said...

I could kind of see the wrong cheese coming, as soon as you mentioned it, so that was a little anti-climactic, but overall this was a good post.

I like the "former girlfriend" aspect of the entry the most.

1:26 AM  
Blogger Chad Hartigan said...

i wonder if the "former girlfriend" would think the same.

6:12 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

i believe that giving d- for liking mozzarella sticks but not cheese is wrongheaded at best, you say that the taste of the mozzarella sticks is fried, thats exactly the beauty of said snack, the cheese is basically a vessel for the fried goodness, thier are many a person much like myself that hate mushrooms or caulflower but enjoy these items fried, the same is true of cheese, thus your grade tells all that if you dislike a certain food ingredient in one form you should not be able to enjoy it in any other form. I believe many would disagree.

4:11 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Dear Former Boyfriend/Current Shithead:

Ahem. You may remember me as the subject of this post. I'm also the girl who took your ass out for a super-expensive Christmas present dinner at a fromagerie, a fucking CHEESE RESTAURANT, even though I HATE CHEESE. I'm a fucking saint. Why do I always get involved with the cheese-obsessed? I dated this French guy for awhile who almost killed himself when I told him I didn't like cheese or wine. Maybe you guys need to go out. JESUS CHRIST!
--Donnelly

7:27 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Wow.

7:04 PM  
Blogger تسويق 01016261727 said...

مؤسسة الوطنية للخدمات المنزلية
ارقام دينات في الرياض
شركة نظافة بالرياض
شركة مكافحة البراغيث بالرياض

7:41 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home